Narrative Animation

Bofan Liu

Bofan Liu is an animator who lives in London. After graduating from BA Animation at London College of Communication in 2019, he continues his practice at the Royal College of Art. Most of his works are 2D hand-drawn animation, involving ink-based material. 

Degree Details

School of Communication

Narrative Animation
Bofan Liu

Bofan experienced various media during BA. While Bofan started his studies at RCA, he decided to explore animation with bold and expressive ink strokes. He often using exaggerated camera movement to establish the environment. Allow the audience to travel through the narrative space he created.

During the studying at RCA, most of Bofan’s works communicate emotions through interpreting visual narrative based on his memory. As a teenager who grew up in China, his experience often reflects the experience of a generation of people. As a storyteller, His graduation film explores the fixed Chinese family structure, by revealing the childhood memory in the first-person perspective. It offers a platform to articulate his emotion through the narrative.

Bofan wants to continue his career as an animator in the future, continuing to develop the technique while working in the animation industry.

My Dad Is Bald (Trailer)
Still frame 01
Still frame 01
Still frame 02
Still frame 02

A boy who expects his father to come home to accompany him, end up feeling ashamed of his father’s bald head.

Based on my personal memory of my younger self, the absence of my father in my childhood because he spent most of his time in his career. This phenomenon was common in my generation, who are generally raised as a single child by mothers.

As a typical Chinese family, most children experience loneliness through their childhood, this kind of family and social structure results in them counter difficulties to communicate with their parents. Especially when they grow up, they still don’t understand their parents. I am one of them.

Composer

Nacho Mana

Sound mix

Mikolaj Szatko

Additional clean up

Vivienne Shao, Rachel Fitzgerald

Medium:

Short film

Size:

4:59 (Full film)
18/10/2019 — An animated short based on my observation of the London underground in 2019, before social distancing.

An animated short based on my observation of London underground in 2019.

Medium:

Short film

Size:

00:37