Interior Reuse

Caroline Bang

Originally from Silkeborg, Denmark. Before starting my Master’s Degree at RCA, I studied Interior Design at Florence Institute of Design International in Florence, Italy, followed by my Bachelor’s Degree in Spatial Design at The Royal Danish Academy of Fine Arts, School of Design in Copenhagen, Denmark. During my BA I did an internship with Faye Toogood at her studio in East London. 

Contact

Instagram

Degree Details

School of Architecture

Interior Reuse

‘Family Home’ is a work in progress snapshot of designing a series of space which includes and also shelters a variety of homes; embracing future families and different ways of living. As such, it is an investigation into the meaning and importance of home and domestic life. Now more than ever, we need to question our current and long-standing traditions of the roles and configurations of domestic spaces. I will investigate the future of families and respond to that by formulating new ways of domestic lives and spatial sceneries. As the title suggests, ‘Family Home’ is not a hyper-optimized co-living institution, but instead it is a collective home, one that embodies different ways of living responding to a future in which the nuclear family is no longer considered the norm.

In my work processes until now, I have been particularly interested in the relationships and thresholds between public and private as well as between existing and new spatial configurations. These include the analysis of regulatory aspects of domesticity, as well as the atmospheres of spaces. I began this project by analysing paintings of domesticity, leading me to understand the various depictions of interiors that are dynamic meeting points, and which allow for new spaces to appear and thus communicate new ways of movement, dwelling and inhabitation. Today, undergoing a pandemic dramatically lays bare our human needs and desires for togetherness, kinship and feeling ‘connected’, emotionally as well as physically. These needs and desires are as crucially important to respond to as rational requirements.

This work in progress show demonstrates my explorations of future family constellations and ways of forming (co-)habitation. I am interested in this from an anthropological as well as a spatial point of view. Next stages will explore new configurations of living, in London, where the pandemic has further exposed the crisis in housing and the ancient stock that needs reusing and updating in order to make more useful domestic spaces for the 21st century and beyond.

Domestic Imaginary_model

Domestic Imaginary_model views

Domestic Imaginary_collage

Domestic Imaginary_vistas

Detail 1

Detail 2

Sketches of dwelling units

Configuration 1

Configuration 2

Configuration 3

Configuration 4

The site where I have tested my initial spatial configurations has a ghost facade of a Victorian terraced house and is situated in Leinster Gardens, Bayswater, London. The facade was originally built in 1868 as part of a series of Victorian terraced houses and the site behind it was used as a tunnel opening for the trains underneath to let out steam. Today, the ghost facade is still left untouched.

Painting selection_1

Painting selection_2

Chair sampling_1

Chair sampling_2

Chair sampling_3

Chair sampling_4

In this furniture exploration I have been analysing a selection of paintings of chairs. I was particularly interested in the way the chairs were placed as humanlike figures in the pictorial compositions as well as how each of the chairs expressed a body language and narrative. 

By sampling the chair cut-outs together, I wanted to create new characters and families of chairs. My aim was to translate my project narrative of 'Family Home' into furniture assets that can inhabit the in-between spaces in my spatial configurations; creating new thresholds and relationships between the inhabitants and furniture, between public and private as well as between old and new spatial configurations.

Previous Student

Next Student

Social
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • YouTube
Royal College of Art
Registered Office: Royal College of Art,
Kensington Gore, South Kensington,
London SW7 2EU
RCA™ Royal College of Art™ are trademarks
of the Royal College of Art