Mixed Media

Chloé Rochefort

Chloé Rochefort is an artist and facilitator who specialises in sculpture and installation. Inspired by our relationship to ordinary spaces and discarded objects, she investigates playfulness, through the creation of surreal and engaging settings.

Before moving to London, she studied Textiles at ENSAAMA in Paris. During her time there she won the “Prospective Design” award from the French Federation of Lace and Embroidery.

Whilst at the RCA, she became one of the five curators of the ‘Creating in Crisis’ gallery and co-funded the podcast ‘Artists in Pyjamas’ . She is currently collaborating with Musson+Retallick on their community engagement project “Fields of Everywhen”.

Chloé Rochefort

RE-ENGAGING // The Great Neighborhood Of Happenstance Square

I guess this year has been about Re-engaging. With myself. My Home. My neighborhood. The people. How do you Re-engage ? How do you perform in this space around you, make it your own ? How do you feel like you belong?

In the 60’s, as an aftermath of WWII, children were encouraged to build their own playgrounds with leftover materials and objects they found in the street, to trigger their creativity and help them Re-engage with their daily environment.

These narratives, where daily resourcefulness can lead to imaginative impulse influenced my reflection on the current lockdown. It suddenly felt necessary to Re-invent my daily routines and spaces to cope with the new norm.

“The Great Neighborhood of Happenstance Square” is a playful installation, created with found objects and settled in a curious domestic environnement. I question concepts of comfort, unpredictability and sharing to imagine an engaging experience. Happenstance Square is a place where personal narratives meet collective stories. My sculptures are social creatures, finding their meaning in the way they are built and in the conversations they trigger.

From home to studio : Between playfulness and making — An introduction to my practice Photos and videos by Mathilde Giraud
SLUMBER EVENT = There Is A Horse Stuck In My Sofa // HAPPY EVENT = The Money Pig
SLUMBER EVENT = There Is A Horse Stuck In My Sofa // HAPPY EVENT = The Money Pig — (Sofa) Mixed-media sculpture Size = (H)125 x (L)90 x (W)80 cm // (Pig) Mixed-media sculpture Size = (H)105 x (L)90 x (W)70 cm
MY SOFA IS A HORSE AND HE SLEEPS LIKE MY GRANDMA
MY SOFA IS A HORSE AND HE SLEEPS LIKE MY GRANDMA — Oil painting on paper Size= 95 x 70 cm
PROBLEMATIC EVENT = Bathtub Overflowing
PROBLEMATIC EVENT = Bathtub Overflowing — Mixed-media sculpture Size = (H)110 x (L)120 x (W)85 cm
[untitled]
I TALKED TO A DOOR KNOCKER. IT WAS A GOOSE. SHE HANDED ME THE KEYS OF HAPPENSTANCE SQUARE.
I TALKED TO A DOOR KNOCKER. IT WAS A GOOSE. SHE HANDED ME THE KEYS OF HAPPENSTANCE SQUARE. — Mixed-media painting on paper Size = 145 x 120 cm
CLEANING EVENTS = Dragging The Breathless Vacuum Around The Flat + Extracting Pocket Treasures From The Washing Machine
CLEANING EVENTS = Dragging The Breathless Vacuum Around The Flat + Extracting Pocket Treasures From The Washing Machine — (Vacuum) Mixed-media sculpture (H)46 x (L)113 x (W)18 cm // (Hand) Mixed-media sculpture (H)53 x (L)18 x (W)24 cm
PUBLIC EVENT = Chloé walking  you through the Neighborhood (the fictional and real one)
PUBLIC EVENT = Chloé walking you through the Neighborhood (the fictional and real one) — How can Happenstance Square become the starting point of a conversation and a participative experience, based on the sharing of personal narratives ?