Narrative Animation

Jiahe Liu

Jiahe Liu is working towards becoming an animation director.

Previous to his MA, he learned theater lighting design at Whitman College, and he knows how to use light to convey mood and to create the sense of space for film, animation or performance. During his study at college, he worked a lot with installations and sculptures, and he learned how to use and transform the space. Jiahe has an aptitude for animation and visual arts that use actual materials; he experimented with sand, puppets and paper puppets. 

Jiahe likes engaging with live-action and dancing as the ways to generate ideas. In his spare, he enjoys photography, gardening and watching dancing performances. For his creative process, he’s always trying to find a rhythm for the film in the first place, then collecting all sorts of materials by research to build his own solid concept.

Degree Details

School of Communication

Narrative Animation
Jiahe Liu

Animation is an independent art form which can be used to express one’s philosophical and aesthetic views. By utilizing multiple angles and art techniques, combing elements from different artistic dimensions, animation offers a very direct yet introverted demonstration of people’s perceptions of the world. Compared to the traditional forms of artwork, animation is more generous and all-inclusive, with the employment of verbal and graphic expression, music and other artistic venues. With its rich expressiveness, animation involves the engagement and cooperation of people with diverse expertise and an innovative spirit. However, animation as a way of narration is not just a means to convey the film makers’ creativity, but also a serious consideration into a human being’s existence and the social status quo. Such a trait makes animation attractive. With regards to film production, rhythm takes a special role in the overall creative process. A motion picture, with the proper presentation of the lens’ language and music suggests the perfection combination of visual and sound effects. Great narration makes pleasing music. Proper music defines the rhythm, helps to tell the stories and highlights emotions. A bettering understanding is emerging of how rhythm of narration and movement could help to tell the story and express different emotions.

I have always been drawn to the surrealist. This fascination of mine began in high school; I created works that completely diverged from my own present reality. Through them I was able to escape into my own world. I’ve created a few surrealistic short films with hyper-idealized and fresh style that furthered my interest in the art form. When I arrived at college, I knew I wanted to continue this path, but wasn’t sure how until I began to try my hand at animation. Animation allowed me to experiment with new techniques, materials, and elements from different dimensions. It offers me an extroversive or an introverted demonstration of my perception of the world. 

As you see from few of my works that I am very into dance, for me animation in many ways not much different to dance yet in the time and space of the world of 24fps-and no less catching. I prefer the emotional demonstration with a balance between the overall styles, rhythms and colors to mere story-telling. In fact, we all do our own dance and all our mood, conditions, thinking will shown via our body language, and there is no need of any beats to make it any more interesting. I will always be looking for a balance between reality and the surreal. Using everyday people and details of their lives to show big environmental changes help my art derive its meaning. Dreaming and dancing as two motifs that appear often in my work to express characters’ dreams and realities.

Simmering in the Broth of Life — STORY AND ANIMATION Jiahe Liu SOUND DESIGN Zhiyi Liu VOICE ACTING Matthew THANK Suzanne Buchan Joe King Sylvie Bringas Jiaqi Wang Bunny Schendler Tim Webb Rory Waudby-Tolley Edwin Rostron Betsy Dadd Dan Saul My peers, friends and family!

Jacob was introduced by a friend to volunteer at a charity, Lonely Planet, where volunteers taking caring of seriously ill people. There, he met an elder man Ooda who was a former dancer of a very famous dance company which then closed after the sudden death of its choreographer and founder. 

Dancer as a different type of career, cannot be fully recorded or preserved. Dancers’ use their body as the art material and each dance company has different way of training, so after more than a decade of a particular way of training it’s not easy to find a spot at other companies. Plus, every dance company is struggling for survival in this competitive show business, so they don’t hire new crews as often. Ooda had to find a “real job” for survival, it became his life regret he couldn't keep dancing.

Medium:

2D Animation

Size:

four minutes