Documentary Animation

Magda Kreps

Magda Kreps is an animator and filmmaker from Germany with Polish and Russian roots. In her work, she explores and combines documentary storylines and the creative process of experimental animation.

Magda graduated with a BA in Communication Design from Hamburg University of Applied Sciences. Her initial focus was editorial design before she fell in love with animation. Since then, Magda made five films to date, which have been screened at multiple international film festivals, including Flatpack Festival, Monstra Lisbon Animation Festival and Factual Animation Film Festival.

Magda Kreps

Magda Kreps is interested in non-fictive storytelling, using abstract and experimental narratives to bring them closer to the audience and to create a thought-provoking audio-visual experience.

She likes to approach each project individually, creating experiments and rules to guide further contextual and stylistic decisions. Her work is often preceded by multidisciplinary research in the fields of sociology, psychology and anthropology.

Being a recent graduate from the Royal College of Art, Magda is excited to collaborate and work with other creatives, studios and institutions.

I Want To Be Bored - Graduation Film

I Want To Be Bored is a hand-drawn short film, visualising a wandering mind during the experience of doing absolutely nothing.

The film is motivated by my desire for a break from constant distractions, endless to-do lists and rotating thoughts. I scheduled time to do nothing – just sit and record random thoughts, sensations and occurring sounds with a microphone. Based on these recordings, I visualised my journey through stretched time in a straight-ahead animation process on paper.

Directed & animated by Magda Kreps

Sound Design: Magda Kreps and Max Gausepohl

Music: Athena Varosio

Sound Mix: Miko Szatko

Additional Support: Beth Walker, Lea Majeran, Matt Buckler

Royal College of Art, 2021

Medium:

Hand-drawn 2D animation on paper

Size:

00:04:00
Film Still
Film Still
Film Still
Film Still
Film Still
Film Still
Film Still
Film Still

Medium:

Pencil on paper

The Things Around Us is an animated documentary, in which I explore my relationship with my mother and her belongings. It was made during my first year at the Royal College of Art in collaboration with the Wellcome Collection, London.

Direction and Animation: Magda Kreps

Sound Design and Mixing: Max Gausepohl

Royal College of Art 2020

Medium:

Digital 2D animation and video

Size:

00:02:42

Magda Kreps - Showreel 2021

Size:

00:00:59

Studienstiftung, German Academic Scholarship Foundation

DAAD, German Academic Exchange Service