Performance Sportswear

Nicole Kaminska

Nicole Kaminska specialises in Performance Sportswear Design, focusing on the development of innovative cooling materials and thermoregulation systems. Because of the unique perspective of herself being a triathlete, her designs are focused on the human, looking at enhancing and supporting the physical as well as the mental performance of the athletes.

During her MA she has closely worked and tested her designs with professional competing triathletes, conducting a series of interviews and testing sessions. With her previous background in Womenswear, she approaches the field of sportswear considering the nature of being female in a male-dominated sports industry and introduces an emotional, subtle view on performance sportswear.

Nicole Kaminska

Emotional Sportswear is an investigation into human’s endurance, focusing on how innovative cooling solutions can enhance human performance. Being a competing triathlete, I have designed the presented collection of professional performance gear from my own experience.

This is a data-driven, user experience design project, with Triathlon being one of the fastest growing extreme sports. 

Triathlon has been an important part of my life, it allowed me to join a wonderful community of people who are not afraid to test and exceed their physical and psychological limits. Waking up at 5 am to get to a swimming training at 5:45, used to be my reality and I believe there is so much beauty in extreme sports that can be translated into an art form. The beauty of being in a triathlon race is in the sense of belonging in the moment, when after swimming, cycling and running a marathon distance at the end, the family and teammates wait for you at the finish line and when you hear their cheers in that last minute of the race you run with all of the strength you have left in you, creating your own work of art of the moment. 

The starting point to this project was an interview with my triathlon coach Bogumil Gluszkowski, who used to be a World Ironman champion. His words beautifully sum up why I chose to connect triathlon with my design practice : For me both art and sport have this dimension where you can keep improving yourself infinitely. 

My main research focus was the importance of thermoregulation in performance sportswear, focusing on developing innovative cooling solutions like seamless cooling triathlon suits and pre-race/recovery cooling garments.

I have worked closely with Marta Dzieciatkowska, who is a professional triathlete in the Polish Triathlon Team. I have interviewed her and also tested my final prototypes with her, which was priceless to development of female-centred designs. 

The presented products have been thoroughly tested, researched and created with professional competing athletes. Looking at new pattern cutting techniques and fabric development that allow for more movement, second skin fit, no seam chafing. Innovative cooling materials, structures and fabrics that follow and adjust with the athlete’s movements. 

Marta will be further testing the gear in the race conditions during one of the World Championship races this race season. 

The products are created as not to disturb the athletes with any outside factors, to keep them in an optimal state, where they can focus on being present in the moment and and move beyond their limits. 

Emotional Sportswear — Collection campaign film : filmed during the final prototype testing session with professional triathletes.

Emotional Sportswear

Collection campaign film : filmed during the final prototype testing session with professional triathletes.

Medium:

Video

Size:

2 minutes
Seamless cooling triathlon suit testing
Seamless cooling triathlon suit testing
Triathlete in a cooling triathlon suit
Triathlete in a cooling triathlon suit
Testing garments in motion
Testing garments in motion
Reflective pleated jacket
Reflective pleated jacket
details
details
Film still
Film still
aerodynamic cooling triathlon suit
aerodynamic cooling triathlon suit
film still
film still
Cooling cycling outfit
Cooling cycling outfit
Seamless cooling triathlon suits
Seamless cooling triathlon suits
details
details
details
details
Auxetic cooling vest details
Auxetic cooling vest details
details
details
details
details
wetsuit details
wetsuit details
pre-race cooling outfit
pre-race cooling outfit
Auxetic cooling material development
Auxetic cooling material development
emotions
emotions
cooling cycling outfit
cooling cycling outfit
cooling
cooling
Bio-based cooling vest
Bio-based cooling vest
Reflective jacket
Reflective jacket
Wetsuit details
Wetsuit details
Triathlon cooling suit
Triathlon cooling suit
Reflective jacket and cooling triathlon suit
Emotional Sportswear : Marta
Emotional Sportswear : Marta
Motion Garment Testing : Angela
Motion Garment Testing : Angela
pre-race and post race recovery outfit
pre-race and post race recovery outfit
motion garment testing
motion garment testing
Triathlete testing the gear in motion
Triathlete testing the gear in motion

Medium:

Photography
polaroids
polaroids
collection
collection
opposites
opposites
aerodynamics
aerodynamics
cooling vest
cooling vest
research
research
motion analysis
motion analysis
digital design development
digital design development
design development
design development
design development
design development
design development
design development
collage/development
collage/development
design development
design development
design development
design development
wetsuit development
wetsuit development
fitting polaroids
fitting polaroids
auxetic fabric development
auxetic fabric development

Selected pages from the collection's portfolio.

Medium:

Mixed Media
Essence of Emotional Sportswear — Film introducing the designer and the essence of the project.

Medium:

Video