Experimental Animation

Yiqiao Lan

Yiqiao Lan (b.1997) is an illustration and animation artist.

As it is very easy to get anxious and confused in her life, she uses hand drawing as a way to observe daily objects and surroundings while reflecting a mixture of mental subjectivity and childhood memories.

Her two-year study in animation at Royal College of Art has led her to a more textural and immersive audiovisual practice.

She wants to work as a freelancer and keep a budgerigar as a pet.

Exhibitions

Group exhibition 9000 - MOUart Gallery, Beijing, 2019

abC Beijing Art Book Fair, Beijing, 2019

CHABF Chengdu Art Book Fair, Chengdu, 2020

Group exhibition Kaleidoscope: Illustration Art Now – Triangle Space, Shenzheng, 2020

3th Good Art Fair, Hangzhou, 2021

Screening

2021 Anim!Arte Festival - 16th International Student Animation Festival of Brazil, Brazil

Yiqiao Lan

Yiqiao Lan’s tactile texture obsession brings her to the exploration of hand drawing materials like watercolour and gouache. She attempts to bring a “broken fluidity” with the animated flickering texture of watercolour. 

Notions of memory and isolated states, a sense of absurdity and externalisation of feelings are what she wishes to bring to the audience. Sound plays an important role in her practices. How can sound sculpt a memory or a dream place? Through exploring how sound can work in installation and site-specific work, Yiqiao creates a world where dream, memory and reality melt together in her films, and she hopes to bring the idea to her future practice in relation to physical space and exhibition.

Her film Grass Room will be screened at BFI London on 15th and 16th of July, as part of MA Animation 2021 Graduate Screening. Follow ins @rcaanimation for more information.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Password: grass <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
This is a field of grass
Launch Project
This is a field of grass — After watching Grass Room, you are welcomed to click them and have a listen to a spotify playlist I made when making this film and continue the room trip...

A girl is trapped in her room doing endless mind traveling while the grass is spreading over the whole room. In this room, everything seems to be without an embodiment and melted together along with feelings. 

My graduation film at Royal College Art in 2021.

Directed and Animated by Yiqiao Lan

Sound Design by Yiqiao Lan & Billy Palmer

Medium:

Watercolour, pencil on paper

Size:

16:9
 clip1
clip1
clip2
clip2
A poster for Grass Room
A poster for Grass Room
a little map for Grass Room
a little map for Grass Room
Some drafts
Some drafts
A  background frame
A background frame
Some process
Some process
a rough process of colouring:D

My process began with a series of sketches from films, trying an unconscious creative process, that were then mapped to my diary writing of the bed, grass and other items. I began to connect these with textures around me, and some of them are developed into symbolic objects in my film. I tried to tell a story with a non-linear structure of the film and unconscious stream of thought, using repetition of symbolic objects with a more textural audiovisual experience.

still1
still1
password: garden

When it rains, she becomes the only phantom inside the garden. Is the garden even real or is it all just a dream in the rain?

I exist in my memory of the garden, and I am present in my memory, while my body, the people around me have become absent. Me, and those strangers who used to be in that garden, now have become phantoms inside my memory. I am trying to capture this period of time and explore how I am present in my memory yet absent at the same time. This film will show how my memory is reconstructed in my mind and how I adding or deleting my present memory into scenes of the past. It’s also searching for traces of the absence, tracing those footsteps I and those people have left. 

It is my first year film at Royal College of Art 2020.

Directed and Animated by Yiqiao Lan

Medium:

Hand drawn on paper

Size:

16:9
Showreel2019-2020
A gif for ‘Ohmypms’ online exhibition
Distance
Distance — A zine book in cooperation with BetweentheLines Magazine
watercolour works
watercolour works
sketchbook
sketchbook

Medium:

watercolour, pencil, gouache, digital