Footwear, Accessories, Millinery & Eyewear

Yushan Liu

Yushan is a Chinese London-based hat maker and designer, She has a background in different fields, across Fine Art, Fashion and Jewellery.

Yushan explored the interaction of space and head, the balance between the inner and outer space linked by window. Her work influenced by the scenario of architecture, photography, film, art direction. Continually driven by the ongoing negotiation with her lived experience and identification. Yushan’s practice captures and presents the changes caused by shadow and light to the environment, creating a new cinematic space that is visible and free.

Yushan Liu

Window: See-through Shelter

‘Safe Playground’ ‘Transparent Building’ ‘Invisible Protection’

My work is about the exploration of myself, tension between inner and outer space. Emphasizes the interaction between body and space, wants to break the state of the existence of objects, and to explore the balance between space, body and objects.

I was inspired by window and architecture, I like to observe things through the window when I take a car pass by,but it could only get a glimpse of Some shadows or lights from it. I want to highlight the exchange of the inside and outside world brought by the window as a medium in the space, and show people's desire for voyeurism and observation.

[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
— In Edward Hoppe's work, light enters the window from outside, or lights are projected from inside. The window plays the role of keyhole, exposing the lonely individual and space. The same scene is showed in Hitchcock's Rear Window, where the private space is exposed by the window, and the people’s sense of peeping.
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]
[untitled]